Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Upgraded the co-sleeper!

Here is the old Arms Reach co-sleeper bassinet currently serving as a changing/dressing table. Mariele just seemed a little cramped in there lately. I felt like she needed room to roll around a little:



My solution was this convertible crib. The crib is currently in the toddler daybed configuration (the drop rail is off) and the mattress is in the second highest configuration. The castor wheels are not on the legs. The crib is heavy enough to stay put right next to my bed. So this way I get to safely co-sleep and Mariele has her own safe space in the bed. Last night she slept on the side next to the railing on her side (she is a side sleeper like me). I think we are both sleeping better this way!



To fill in the gap caused by pushing our mattresses together, I tightly rolled a blanket and some towels on the other side of the crib. Everything is nice a tight now with no suffocation risk:



Graco does not realize that this convertible crib has a co-sleeping configuration. I am super excited about it myself. Mariele really likes it too!

I wish I had this set-up when Analese was a baby. We did more bed sharing with her. I like co-sleeping with my kids, and I realize it is not something that I will do forever. In fact, sometime after the second birthday it starts to become less fun and they get longer and wigglier. Analese enjoys her own bed now, and we enjoy having our bed back too. It is nice to be able to still co-sleep with Mariele, but to spread out a little.

Now for grins and giggles here is a pic of Mariele enjoying her sweet potatoes:



And here she is enjoying a piece of nectarine inside the mesh feeder:



We are slowly starting solids. She is getting only an insignificant amount so far. Just tasting and she is not really in love with anything yet. I will keep offering and introducing some new foods and see if anything in particular will tickle her taste buds. I have made all of her baby food so far, although I am giving her the rice and oatmeal cereal from the box. I made her some homemade oatmeal cereal. I ground the oats as fine as I could, but it is still a little clumpy for her to have yet. She has the one tooth on the bottom (will try to get a good pic now that it has emerged enough to see it if she gives me an open mouthed grin).

7 comments:

Stacey said...

This is exactly what we did the first time around. It worked well, but eventually Cole just ended up next to me.

This time we are using the crib as a crib which is a little strange. I wish we could sidecar it and have the baby nearer, but Cole still climbs in with us and that makes me nervous.

I hope you sleep well!

Karla said...

Great idea with the crib! It seems a lot safer than co-sleeping in the big bed together! She is so cute!

Joanna said...

Nice set-up! Also very cute pics!

Kaycee said...

I love the new updated crib. So cool!!

Her lil bald head is precious!!

Unknown said...

What a good idea! Very cute pictures.

Carrie said...

I love how you put the convertible crib next to your bed, what a great idea!! And awww, she is so cute eating her sweet potatoes!!

connie said...

Your girls are so stinkin cute. That is a very smart idea with the crib.