Every day doing Calvert homeschool is a little different, so it is hard to document a typical day. I did document today, but in a Calvert week there is quite a good amount of variety in the lesson plans.
I wake the girls around 7 a.m. Just look at them! How tempting it is to just let them sleep! But bedtime happens much more naturally when I wake them at this time.
Then we get dressed, eat breakfast, and do miscellaneous morning tasks. That brings us to an 8:45-9:00ish start time for our school.
Our first subject is Bible. This is not part of the Calvert curriculum, but I added it in. Today they were learning about Baby Moses. We take the weekly theme and memory verse from their church class and expand it through the week.
Then they recite the books of the Bible. It's a fun little chant, and they can say all of the books through John now. We add 2-4 books a week. They are also learning The Lord's Prayer.
This may seem cheesy, but the very first Calvert social studies lesson introduced the Pledge of Allegiance. They do recite it each morning.
Mariele started out watching the Elmo's Potty Time video. When people ask if I do school with her, I can honestly say that she is in potty training academy.
Next comes math. Calvert has their very own math program, and so far it seems to be a great program. She starts with a warm-up activity. Today it was a color code addition project.
When Mariele saw that Analese was coloring, she wanted to color also.
Analese learned about how to find a missing addend from word problems using a number line.
Mariele became bored with her coloring and moved on to blocks.
Analese then cut out and pieced back together a numbers puzzle. She was quite proud of herself for solving the puzzle! This puzzle was an optional enrichment activity, but I like to do most of the enrichment activities, especially for math.
Meanwhile, Mariele had moved on to magnetic puzzles.
Analese then logged onto the computer to do her math checkpoint. This is usually a couple of problems designed to determine mastery of the concept of the day. The checkpoint is instantly graded.
Next comes Spanish. This is not part of the Calvert curriculum, but we have several resources from which to draw upon.
We are currently using Hooked on Spanish. There is a computer module associated with each lesson in the workbook. There are 3 levels each consisting of 12 modules. We are just finishing the second level today. We have a Spanish/English story book to review the Spanish words that we have learned thus far.
They get to put a sticker on their chart upon the completion of each module. We are crazy into stickers at our house.
Next comes reading, reading comprehension, phonics, and writing. This part of the curriculum can be highly variable from day to day. There are usually groups of stories to read throughout the week. One will be realistic fiction, one will be fantasy, and one will be a non-fiction "article" type of story. These articles usually link into science or social studies. Today was a science link article about insects.
Then Analese did some word building with short e words and read some word slides with short u words. This portion of the day usually goes very quickly. This is very easy for her.
She then learned all about homographs.
Then she got to choose an insect to write about. Her first choice was butterfly, but I swear....we have really overdone the whole butterfly thing lately. I steered her away from butterflies and coaxed her into thinking about some other insects. She finally decided upon a praying mantis. We looked up some information on the internet and she watched a YouTube video.
This brought us to lunchtime. We all got a little nourishment and refreshment. Then it was time for Mariele to hit the tent for a nap.
Analese then wrote and illustrated her "paragraph" about the praying mantis. She was particularly impressed that bats eat the mantis.
The last subject for today was social studies. She was learning about how common features define a region.
In the Calvert curriculum, if a family were to do school Monday through Friday, social studies would be on Tuesday and Thursday, and science would be on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. In other words, there are 2 social studies lessons for every 3 science lessons. Today was an unusual day since her reading lesson was also linked to science. It was a bit like doing both of those subjects on the same day.
We were finished with the school day by 1:45. I really love the economy of time and the flexibility that homeschooling provides for our family. Analese does piano lessons on Wednesdays and gymnastics on Fridays. We have more time to pursue and enjoy extra-curricular activities. Analese will also be joining the Adventurer Club (kind of like scouts) through our church this year. Our life does get busy at times, but we enjoy the bonding that occurs simply by schooling in the home. Our school is an extension of our home, and it is very enjoyable and pleasant. I feel blessed to have this responsibility.
10 comments:
I loved reading this, Mel. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE Analese's success (!) picture. Classic
I loved this post.
Your girls are so lucky to have such a wonderful, dedicated Momma (and Daddy). You can tell they have so much fun every day with you.
I loved reading this too! Analese looks so happy and engaged. She's lucky to have such a great teacher.
Loved reading what they are into!!
The girls are definitely very lucky to have you, a very dedicated mother and teacher. You have wonderful resources as well, which I think is a very key component to home schooling.
Great post. Thank you for sharing.
Very cool! Now I want to do a post like this! Your day starts out so similar to ours. We always do a Bible story, recite the books of the Bible and a memory verse (we did the Lord's Prayer last year.)
What a neat post! You put so much work into her school days, she is so lucky to have such a dedicated Mom! Loved the praying mantis picture/story she did :)
I really enjoyed learning more about homeschooling. Thanks for sharing Analese's school day! I love how Mariele does school too. Katie has the same block puzzle and loves it.
Neat post. Fun to see how others homeschool. I wish I was that "fun". We are learning about Mayan and Aztecs, light and mirrors, and triple digit subtraction.
Very cool. I agree with Lindsay, love her "success" picture and I wish I had her view of all that green from the classroom.
Post a Comment