Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer Slushies

Those of you who are melting in the heat......Make this today! You will thank me!



You need one small seedless watermelon, a bag of frozen strawberries and the juice of one lemon. You also need a good heavy duty blender (I use a Vita-mix). Blend it all together. You may need to add the watermelon a few chunks at a time until it blends down. Now pour it into a baking pan. The mixture filled an 8 inch square baking pan for me. Pop it in the freezer for a few hours. Check on it periodically and break up the ice crystals with a fork as they form. It is ready to eat when it is the consistency of a snow cone or a slushy. This was SO very refreshing on this hot 102 degree afternoon! And it is just blended fruit. It is a very healthy alternative to a snow cone that is laden with high fructose syrup! And much more delicious, I might add!

5 comments:

Karla said...

Sounds delicious!

Carrie said...

Is this from Highlights? I was looking at the one that just came in the mail at my Mom's today and I remember seeing a slushy recipe that involved watermelon! :) I plan to make it SOON!

Mel said...

Carrie, this is loosely based on the Highlights recipe. I made modifications:)

Unknown said...

Yum!! Wish I could eat watermelon.

Carrie said...

I am going to try your version! :) I prefer strawberries! Thanks!