Friday, July 10, 2009

EXTREME Makeover - the Pimp my Piano Edition!

Today was the long awaited reunion between me and my little piano! They took it away on April 8 and brought it back today. So a little over 3 months for the complete overhaul. But I do think that it was well worth the wait. A little background on my piano. This is the piano that I learned to play on in 1982. So it is about 27 years old (pushing antique status?) Definitely an heirloom! This piano moved once in Arkansas, then from Arkansas to Colorado and from Colorado to Texas. Poor little piano had enough! Next time we move we are crating this thing!

Here is my poor, pathetic little hooptie of a piano before. Please don't laugh or make fun of it. It triumphs in the end!






We drove down to see it on May 7th. They had it stripped down to the bare walnut wood:





We noticed that the piano actually has a beautiful wood grain pattern that was hidden by the original finish. From there we chose a stain and finish for the piano.

We visited on the 11th of June. I was completely awed by the transformation. But we realized that the keys really did look old and yellow. We opted to have them replace the keys. At the time they told us it would take an additional 7-14 days. For whatever reason it took an additional month, but still....totally worth it! Here is the finished piano in the shop (minus key replacement):



And here is the finished piano with brand new keys in my house! Now we have to get a decorative mirror to go over it. I also need a doily for the top so I can put my piano lamp there. Of course the first thing I had to do was play it, although it was pretty out of tune. We are supposed to wait 4 weeks to have it tuned since it needs to acclimate. It has been through sprayers at the shop. This was a great Mother's Day gift and I am so incredibly happy to have it back in my home all restored and beautiful!






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! looks like it was worth the wait! Some day I would love to have a piano!

Steph said...

It looks beautiful! My parents have an antique piano I would love to get my hands on some day for my house.

Jennifer said...

Mel, it is beautiful! I have been anxiously waiting for this post, it turned out perfect! Enjoy!

House of Blues said...

ITS BEAUTIFUL!!! I am a piano lover too, took 9 years of lessons as a kid. Im asking for a piano for christmas now that we have a house, so wish I had my old one!!

London said...

It looks amazing! I still miss my piano some days. It was a Baldwin too and we had to sell it because we couldn't keep moving it around all of the time. Enjoy it!

Karla said...

It looks fantastic!

Carrie said...

I love your dress! And, of course, the piano looks GREAT! How wonderful! A family heirlom (sp?) that you can pass on some day, and it will be so beautiful in the house!

Unknown said...

It turned out so beautiful!!

Love your dress as well.

Kara said...

Turned out beautiful! Love it! We have a really old piano in our house that I would love to refinish. I should take a picture of it..... It is atleast 55 years old. I got it from my old neighbor when she moved. The keys are yellow and there are some places where the finish doesn't look so hot. I should really look into having it "pimped" like yours.

Jenny/Moravia said...

What a great transformation.