Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blurb tips

Since a couple of you had some questions about the "Blurb" process, I thought I would tell you what I remember here.

If you slurp your entire blog, telling it to autopopulate, it will give you a message - something to the effect of "Whoa, that's quite a blog you have there. The maximum number of pages that can be published is 490. Do you wish to continue working with the big blog?" If you say "yes", Booksmart is going to put your blog in a strange order. So the best thing to do, is to slurp all of your blog, then use the "add to book" button to add the blog posts to the book a few chunks at a time so that you never exceed that 490 (I think) page limit. The autopopulate feature will put one blog post per page. This is obviously not the best or most efficient way to do it. I did do autopopulate, but then I cut and pasted to get more than one blog post per page where I could. Count the number of photos in your blog post, then choose a layout on the left side of the screen that works best with your text and photos. You can then delete unnecessary and duplicate pages along the bottom of your screen, and you will see your page count decrease. My final page count was 295. I ordered the image bound book, and I am very pleased with the quality. I hope this helps those of you who are trying blurb. Booksmart was good for me once I figured out the quirks. It went really fast once I knew what I was doing.

4 comments:

JenFen said...

First of all the blog book turned out gorgeous. Second of all thanks for sharing your tips.

I tried blurb and what became a problem for me was that I caption a lot of my photos as I am doing my blog posts as in "here they are doing this" and then the photo and with blurb, the photos are put in layouts that are not near the text so the task of editing out those captions and doing without them was the reason I used Lulu instead. I was wondering what you did about that because I do believe you caption your photos as well.

I have to say though, I do like the way your pages turned out and since I do post a lot of pictures, I like all the choices for getting more photos per page. It really turned out gorgeous!

You know where to find me - here on blogger, facebook, twitter or email. LOL!

Mel said...

Yes, I did wish I could caption more. With this first book, sometimes my text is away from the photos. Not perfect, but I am going to work that out for the second book (this years book I mean).

Rachel said...

Thanks for the tips.. I'm going to have to try that out when I have some spare time. I have a feeling I'll be up late at night for awhile, since once I start something, I usually want to perfect it!

Once again.. what a beautiful treasure you have there. It came out great.

Carrie said...

NOW I know why mine is all messed up! I told it to auto populate even though it was over the max # of pages. Thanks for figuring this out for me... I am still considering Lulu, though, because Jen just brought up a good point with the captions. I may try a blog post with each of them and see which I like the best. Thanks, Mel! You did all my grunt work! heheh (and, I am ashamed to admit, I haven't gotten very far on this blog book project...but, hey, at least I am doing well with my running! hee!)